Officine Grandi Riparazioni
Officine Grandi Riparazioni
corso Castelfidardo 22, Torino
The Officine Grandi Riparazioni are one of the most interesting proofs of the industrial past of Torino. The complex, covering about a 200,000-square-metre area, built between 1885 and 1895 for the manufacturing and maintenance of locomotives and wagons, was the driving force of San Paolo town district’s development. Over the years new factories set up near the OGR, and the first immigration triggered a fast demographic growth that changed this part of the city deeply.
Until the seventies the Officine worked as train repairing workshop, later they were turned into wharehouses for the machine tools. At the beginning of the nineties they were dismantled for good. Most of the venues and buildings, which have been restored and reconverted, are now housing the Citadel of the Politecnico of Torino, where research activities and education programmes are ran, laboratories and IT enterprises are managed.
The most northern OGR building covers an area of over 20,000 square metres, near the new Porta Susa railway station, just a few steps from the city centre. It is called “H-shaped”, as its layout is formed of two 200-metre-long parallel buildings connected by a lower one. Inside the Officine lines of cast-iron pillars create a charming effect reminding of a series of imposing naves.
The building, owned by the Italian Railways and given to the City of Torino in 2007 as a gratuitous loan, has undergone a partial restoration work that allowedto open a portion of its magnificent venues to the public for temporary exhibits and cultural events since summer 2008. A second infrastructural intervention, managed by the City of Torino, will lead to the completion of the restoration works of the main building that will house exhibits, activities and services offered to the Esperienza Italia visitors.
The 19th August 2009 an open-procedure competition for the preliminary and final design of the service spaces as well as for the final design of the scheduled exhibitions was announced. The competition, to which twelve architecture and engineering groups from all over Italy submitted their projects, was completed the 9th December and the group led by 5+1AA Srl and formed also by Studio Pession Associato, AI Engineering Srl, AI Studio and Impro Srl, wan the competition.
5+1AA Agenzia di Architettura Alfonso Femia Gianluca Peluffo
Alfonso Femia (1966) and Gianluca Peluffo (1966) – the founding partners of 5+1 in Genoa in 1995 – set up 5+1AA Architecture agency in 2005.
In 2005 they won, with Rudy Ricciotti, the international competition for the New Cinema Palace of Venice (under construction). In 2006 they opened an Atelier in Milano. In 2007 they opened an Agence in Paris and were entrusted with the development of the Master Plan of the Expo Milano 2015. In 2008 they won, with J.B. Petri and Italiana Costruzioni spa, the international competition for the new directional buildings for Sviluppo Sistema Fiera of Milano (under construction). They have been invited to participate in several competitions in France, and were entrusted with the urban development of the Parisian Masséna Bruneseau area, with Moatti&Riviere.
They have been short-listed for major international competitions. In France they are currently invited in public and private projects, including the Cultural and Music Centre of Ris-Orangis (Paris); the School complex in boulevard Macdonald in Paris; the Martigues Court Centre (Marseilles); the Poitiers University Hospital Centre.
They exhibit, their design projects are published, and they lecture in Italy and abroad. Alfonso Femia is a Professor at KSU in Florence and Contract Professor of Architectural Design at Ferrara University (Faculty of Architecture). Gianluca Peluffo is a Researcher at Genoa University (Faculty of Architecture). Simonetta Cenci is a Faculty member co-teaching Architectural Design and Town Planning at Genoa University (Faculty of Architecture).
Studio Pession Associato
Carlo Pession (1944) has worked together with important Italian Companies, such as Italdesign/Giugiaro, Carpano, Benetton, Riccadonna, Fiat, Toulà, Juvenilia, Kappa Italia, as well as for the Japanese Yokohama Rubber Company. For the latter he planned and realized an office building in Tokyo in 1992. He has designed and realized a tourist village in Brasil, prefabricated houses in Iran and villas in Spain.
In January 2001 Studio Pession Associato was set up, having Emanuele Pession (1971) as a partner. He first worked in Barcelona where he experienced many design and planning activities working on holiday villagges, villas and industrial buildings reconversion. Among the main design projects they have been entrusted with in the last years: the Natural Science Museum of Brescia, the De Cecco Centre in Pescara, the Palaghiaccio in Pinerolo, the Bardonecchia Olympic Village and the Media Riberi and BIT Villages for the 20th Winter Olympics held in Torino in 2006. The restoration project of the Exilles Fortress, the recovery of the industrial archeological structures in the Parco Dora as a part of the Spina Tre in Torino and the restoration of some palaces in the historical centre of Prague, where Studio Pession Associato has another office, are all plans in execution.
In 2007 Pession Engineering srl was established. It collaborates with Studio Pession Associato by operating in the field of technical planning, work direction, construction site safety services, project management and complex work management.
Ai Engineering s.r.l. ed Ai Studio
Its headquarters is in Torino and its branch offices are in Abu Dhabi (EAU) and Milan. It has been operating for over thirty years in the engineering field, with an integrated approach and multidisciplinary competences in six different fields (Environment, Construction, Idraulycs, Infrastructure, Transportation, Urban planning), by offering a complete technical assistance in planning, designing and realizing complex works. It employs over 120 people, including partners, employees and consultants. Among their most recent job orders, they have collaborated with the architects who designed the Palazzo della Regione Piemonte in Torino, they were entrusted for the restoration of Bard fortress for its “museographic programme” (AO), the expansion of MACRO in Rome, for the Centro Congressi Italia (the “Nuvola”) in Rome, the Ferrari Product Development Centre in Maranello (MO), the restoration of the Italian Embassy in Athen.
IMPRO S.r.l. - Società di progettazione di impianti
IMPRO S.r.l. was founded in 1994 by the engineers Gianfranco Lo Cigno (1955), Remo Vaudano (1955) and Carlo Zanovello (1957), as a merger of several professional companies that operated already in the eighties. It is an engineering company specialized in the field of air conditioning fluid-mechanical plant planning as well as in safety and fire prevention, particularly applied to artistic and historicala buildings.
Their jobs include the engineering plant planning of Media Riberi Olympic Village in Torino, Medail Olympic Village in Bardonecchia (TO), the restoration of the Brera Monumental Complex of Milan, the restoration of the Alfa Romeo Executive Centre in Arese (Mi), the restoration of Vodafone Omnitel office building in Ivrea (TO), the New Centre for Mail Mechanization in Torino of Poste Italiane SpA.